Sunday, January 12, 2014

"Not recommended for under Thirteen Years of Age"

I've been reading a lot of "teen girl" books. Like, I read the Princess Diaries series when I was - what - ten years old?? even when it had some sort of "Teens Only" recommendation for it. Lame. I understood everything perfectly, except for some media references by Mia "Pop Culture Princess" Thermopolis.

Then we have books like "How I Lost You" by Janet Gurtler, which has intimate references and makes me totally frustrated with the main character, Grace: her best friend, Kya, often needs rescuing and Grace to have her back. Like trying to save someone who's drowning, Kya is pulling Grace down too, who should start looking out more for herself, following her own dreams.

I read TTYL, by Lauren Myracle (and its sequels TTFN and L8R, G8R) about twice already and am reading them for the third time. They do have swearing and references to physical intimacy - which I try to skip over - but otherwise, reading them is like reading a note from your best friend.

To be honest, books for teen girls are for all ages. They're harmless - other than that, of course, it was with their help and my classmate's "awkward" references that I pieced together what "Slept with him" was. At least I'm not that stereotypical kid who asks, "Where do babies come from?"

It's enough that the Fertilization Process is known to everyone and yet no one discusses it openly - always using lame code words - but to be the one person who really is clueless? No one would have told me what sex was if I'd asked. I mean, before I kind of put 2 and 2 together, I'd thought that babies came when someone got married - like an outsidish process would spiritually instill a baby. I don't know, OK? I was eight years old and questioning the theory when I thought so!!

But I digress.

Once you know what everyone's blushing about, then there's really nothing to keep you from reading these books. They're not so bad, and the point is not about swearing or intimacy, it's something that other books can be about - friendship, adventure, et cetera. If you go on Wattpad? Do NOT go to Romance genres. I repeat: do NOT go to the Romance genre books!! The intimacy there is sooooo tacky and cheap.

What YOU want is the deep stuff, something not all "teen" books have. Get something timeless, not something meant for romance. After all, teen books reflect our changing thought waves and erring waves. If you're not careful, they could instill sarcasm and sharp words for the novel, not the smiles and good reviews every author wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment