Saturday, August 10, 2013

Red - Taylor Swift

Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly
Loving him was like trying to change your mind once you're already flying through the free fall
Like the colours in autumn so bright, just before they lose it all . . .

So goes the one of my favourite songs, Red, by my favourite singer, Taylor Swift. When I am in a sad mood, this song can make me cry, as I can feel the power and meaning that this song brings. A love that was passionate and unstoppable but, alas, short-lived. The composition, feeling, notes and words of the song all compose the most beautiful song.

It always immediately reminds me of the ISU (Independent Study Unit) of my former classmate, Taniya (who will be in high school this year), on love. Through her research, the kinds of love came down to this:
1. Like a deep friendship
2. Passionate, holding-hands-by-the-sunset love that is exactly described by "Red."

The first is long-term. The second, short-lived, like a match that shines brightly but burns out because it cannot hold the fire forever. That is what I am reminded of when I hear Red. A candle that shone bright as forest fire until it inevitable burnt out.

Losing him was blue, like I'd never known
Missing him was dark grey, all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But loving him was red

Remembering him comes in flashbacks, and echoes
Tell myself it's time now, got to let go
But moving on from him is impossible when I still see it all in my head
Burning red!

1 comment:

  1. One of my good friends died in a Maserati on an icy road a few years back. I hate that car.

    Love is a terribly overused word. Love of the 1st kind is what I call true love, as it is like a polished diamond - came through many tests and will last very long. "love" of the 2nd kind is merely a passion, a hormonal storm that can overcome you, even if you don't know the object of your passion that well. Passion is brighter, perhaps more memorable in short term. Sadly, it is also romantisized for the last 200 years beyond limits. Plus passion makes for good movies. True love is often overlooked in our world of reigning consumerism. It is quieter, not as flashy, not as easy to spot from sidelines. Attention deficit is like a veil that prevents us from seeing things and people for what they are.

    ReplyDelete